About Construction Health and Safety Group
The Group is committed to excellence in safety training and enjoys a reputation build over more than 65 years for such excellence. As part of its policy of maintaining and improving on these high standards the Group aspires to the requirements of BS EN 9001: 2008 Quality Management System.
A copy of our QM Policy is available upon request.
The Construction Health and Safety Group (CHSG) was formed in 1952 and is a company limited by guarantee, with charitable status.
CHSG is a recognised and respected provider of quality training and support to construction and associated industries.
Our aims are:
- To protect and preserve occupational health and safety in the Construction Industry
- To study those aspects of the industry and related operations necessary to improve occupational health and safety and to arrange and provide suitable training to meet these needs
- To foster and develop co-operation between government, employers and trade unions in matters concerning health and safety.
To do this we:
- Maintain close and regular contact with organisations and bodies like the Health & Safety Executive, British Standards, other health and safety organisations like the British Safety Council, ROSPA, IOSH, NEBOSH, CSkills.
- Make sure our training courses are current and valid and meet industry needs and, where appropriate, are accredited to the appropriate examining bodies
- Make sure our trainers are competent, ie have the right mix of qualifications, industry experience and training skills, that they keep up to date with legislative and industry changes
- Communicate with our members to make sure we are providing the level of training and support that they require
- Hold monthly meetings with presentations from industry specialists on topics that are current and relevant. Providing a forum for members to discuss relevant topics and best practice
- Working closely with the Health & Safety Executive to support the construction and associated industries, assist them with maintaining legislative compliance and promoting safe working practices
- Training is provided in a relaxed atmosphere at our training centre in Chertsey. The three lecture rooms are air conditioned with modern audio visual equipment.
Profiles of our Trustees/Directors
NEWLY APPOINTED PRESIDENT – Steve Hails
Steve Hails MSc, CMIOSH, PIEMA Chartered Safety & Health Practitioner Director of Health, Safety & Wellbeing Tideway A Chartered Member of IOSH, a Practitioner of IEMA and with a Masters degree in Health, Safety & Environment, Steve progressed into HS&E management through ...
Andrea Smith – Chair Person (Joint)
Andrea is a Chartered member of IOSH and holds a Degree in Occupational Hygiene. She has 26 year’s experience in managing health and safety in the Construction Industry and is currently employed by Morgan Sindall Construction and Infrastructure Ltd. A key player in policy making an...
Debbie Clarkson – Chair Person (Joint)
Debbie Clarkson is a Senior Health & Safety Advisor for Arup, within the Legal – Health & Safety Team managing the day to day running of the team and the network of Safety Coordinators, CDM Advisors and Site Guidance Engineers in the UK. Debbie has a wealth of experien...
Martin Hall – Vice Chairman
As a Former mechanical engineer and safety practitioner with 19 years’ experience within the construction industry, I am SHEQ Manager for Morgan Sindall Construction and Professional Services. I bring tested managerial experience within the Health, Safety and Environmental department and...
Robert Hackett – Immediate Past Chairman
Robert is a Health and Safety Practitioner with over 17 years experience in safety, health, environment and quality gained in the construction industry. He is a graduate member with IOSH and its also a member of the International Institute of Risk and Safety Management. Robert is the Compa...
Gavin joined Costain in 2013 and has led both the Natural Resources and Infrastructure Divisions as Director of Safety, Health and Environment. From January 2017 he became Costain Group SHE Director. He leads a team of over one hundred and fifty professionals working across Costain’s...
Jeff is a chartered Health & Safety practitioner with over 20 years experience in Safety, Health and Environment within the construction industry, the last 14 of which have been with Spadeoak. He is a member of the IIRSM and holds certification from various industry bodies. Working w...
Dean Murphy is HSQE Director for the Bouygues Construction businesses in the UK (Bouygues UK, Bouygues TP, Bouygues Energies and Services and VSL) and is responsible for co-ordinating the interface between the wider Bouygues international business and the UK. Dean resides on vari...
Pinsent Masons Ltd, an international law firm that has worldwide reputation for construction related law. After qualifying as a solicitor in 1994 he now specialises in health and safety law and has been for the past 8 years. Sean is also the secretary for the Health and Safety Law...