Questions and Answers
What is the Aim of the Course?
The Basic Scaffold Inspection contains more demanding content than the hitherto popular 1-day training course.
Who is the Course Aimed at?
The course is specifically designed for experienced scaffold inspectors, management and supervisors.
What is the Course Content?
The course will cover the following topic areas:
- Basic scaffolding types
- Definitions and terminology
- Interior birdcage scaffolding
- Temporary edge protection
- Openings and Bridges
- Putlog scaffolds
- Chimney-stack scaffolding
- Splayed bays and returns
- Independent scaffolding
- Protection of the public
- Legal overview
- Handling materials on scaffolding
- Access scaffolds for frame construction
- Design appreciation
- Role of an inspector
- Statutory scaffold inspection in practice
- TG20: 21
- Scaffolding components
- Foundations and ground conditions
- Working platforms
- Methods of access and egress
- Ties and stability, and
- Industry performance standards
Is There Any Additional Homework?
Is There Joining Criteria?
These will need to be sent to the CHSG Team at least 24 hours prior to the start of the course.
All applicants must have taken a HSE test within the last 2 years. Other exemptions are accepted as below:
- Completion of CISRS Recognised Scaffolding Apprenticeship Induction (Initial Trainee card only)
- IOSH Working Safely/IOSH Managing Safely/IOSH Directing Safely/ IOSH Supervising Safely (Within 2 years)
- FAS Safe Pass
- NEBOSH (General/Construction/International) H&S Certificate (within 2 years)
- SMSTS & SMSTS Refresher Certificate (within 2 years)
- SSSTS & SSSTS Refresher Certificate (within 2 years)
- Current CCNSG Safety Passport (SCATS)
- Current CCNSG Leading a Team Safely (SCATS)
- Current MIST/BOSIET/OPITO Approved Offshore Certificate
Proof of the above will be required.
The joining criteria listed below must also be complete.
One of the following pre-requisites is required for attending this course:
- You must hold one of the following cards:
- A current CISRS Scaffolder card;
- A current CISRS Advanced card;
- A current CISRS Scaffolding Supervisors card, or;
- A current or expired CISRS Basic Inspection card and is attending the course to renew card
2. You have previously attended a one-day scaffold inspection/awareness course at least 2 years prior to this course.
3. You have worked in one of these roles for over two years (you must provide a CV and letter from your employer to confirm awareness of scaffold structures gained from role):
- Scaffold Designer
- Contractor Manager
- Site Agent/Manager
- H & S Manager
- HSE Inspector
What Do I Get Upon Completion of the Course?
After the successful completion of this course delegates will be awarded the CISRS certificate and CHSG will apply for your inspection card.
The inspection card will come at an additional cost of £33.00 inclusive of VAT and is included in the course cost upon checkout.
- 2023 Dates: 22nd to 24th November, 6th to 8th December, 10th to 12th January
- Location: Face to face at our Chertsey Centre
- Grants & Discounts Available: CHSG member’s discount
- Qualification: CISRS certificate and CHSG ID card