The SMSTS course covers all relevant legislation and other aspects which affect safe working in the building, construction and civil engineering industries. It highlights the need for risk assessment in the workplace, the implementation of the necessary control measures, and adequate communication to sustain a health and safety culture among the workforce.
The course runs over 5 days, which are spread over 5 weeks (one day a week).
The aim of the course is to help managers, agents and supervisors to manage health and safety on site in accordance with current legal provisions, and within the context of their management or supervisory role. Alongside this, the course aims to develop an understanding of responsibility and accountability for site health, safety and welfare and recognise that a safe site is efficient, economical and productive.
By the end of this course you will be able to implement or state:
- All health, safety, welfare and environmental legislation which affects them during their daily work
- New guidance and industry best practice
- Your duties and responsibilities with regard to health, safety, welfare and the environment.
The course will cover the following topic areas:
- Health and safety: facts and figures, accident prevention;
- Health and safety system in the UK;
- The Health and Safety at Work Act;
- The management of health and safety at work regulations;
- Health and safety and the manager;
- Implementing health and safety legislation;
- Management of contractors;
- The working environment;
- Working at height;
- Health and safety management for plant, equipment and systems of work;
- Managing construction health risk;
- Monitoring health and safety, and;
- Communication health and safety.
Upon successful completion of the course you will receive a CITB certificate.
CITB SSP Courses - Mandatory requirements
You will be required to bring some form of photographic identification with you on the day of your course. Where identification is not provided by a delegate, they will be refused attendance on the course.
In order to attend this course you must have a good understanding of spoken and written English.
All remote training is conducted online through Zoom. You’ll be sent joining instructions after you’ve booked and paid for your place on the course.