The online Mental Health First Aid Course will qualify you as a Mental Health First Aider once successfully completed. You will gain the following:
- An in-depth understanding of mental health and the factors that can affect wellbeing
- Practical skills to spot the triggers and signs of mental health issues
- Confidence to step in, reassure and support a person in distress
- Enhanced interpersonal skills such as non-judgemental listening
- Knowledge to help someone recover their health by signposting them to further support – whether it’s self-help resources, through their employer, the NHS, or a mix
- An understanding of the boundaries of providing mental health first aid
- Skills to apply self-care
How does it work?
The course will be consist of both self-learning and live webinars. The self-learning will take place on the MHFA England Online Learning Hub and the live webinars will be delivered via Zoom.
You will be required to register onto the course at least 10 working days prior to the first webinar in order to receive the course materials in time for the course and complete the required self-learning for session 1. You will be sent joining instructions with all the relevant links and information after signing up for the course.
At the end of the 4th live session, once all learning requirements have been met, you will be asked to complete online feedback before e-certificates are issued.
Full attendance of the live sessions and completion of the self-learning is required fro certification.
You will receive the MHFA England course manual, workbook, lanyard ‘action card’, MHFA Line Managers Resource, access to the learning platform and instructor support throughout the programme. You will receive certification upon successful completion of the course.
It is critical that you register in advance of the course start date to ensure that you have the necessary resources to attend and complete the course.
Self-Learning ahead of live sessions
Self learning for session 1: at least 1 hour
Self learning for session 2: at least 2 hours
Self learning for session 3: at least 2 hours
Self learning for session 4: at least 2 hours
Session 1: 2 hours 30 minutes
Session 2: 2 hours 30 minutes
Session 3: 2 hours 30 minutes
Session 4: 2 hours 30 minutes
Total time: 8 - 10 hours for self-learning and 10 hours of instructor led training.
- Introducing Mental Health First Aid
- Review of individual learning on the MHFA Action Plan
- Review of the individual learning on mental health
- Stigma and discrimination
- Risk and protective factors
- Frame of Reference
- The Mental Health Continuum
- Introduction to the Stress Container
- Review of individual learning on depression
- Prevalence of suicide
- Suicide, substance misuse and dual diagnosis
- First aid for suicidal crisis
- Non-judgemental listening skills
- Practice using MHFA Action Plan case study scenario
- Review of individual learning on anxiety
- Review of five steps of MHFA Action Plan
- First Aid for Panic Attack
- Practice non-judgemental listening
- Practice using MHFA Action Plan for Anxiety
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
- Review of individual learning on easting disorders and self-harm
- MHFA Action Plan for eating disorders and self-harm
- Review of individual learning on psychosis
- Development of psychosis
- Review of MHFA Action Plan for psychosis
- Practice using the MHFA Action Plan for psychosis
- How to build a mentally healthy workplace
- Action Planning